Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Menopausal weight gain SUCKS.

Well I've found good news and bad news.

Turns out my hormone therapy ISN'T steroidal.  Yay!  That makes me happy.  But why in the HELL have I gained 20 lbs?

Turns out it's the menopause itself.  Here's the skinny on what I've found...

When in menopause/periomenopause, the body stops/decreases production of certain hormones.  These are the ones affected by surgical menopause specifically.

Estrogen: Responsible for causing monthly ovulation.  As the body produces less, it looks for other places to get it.  Fat cells can produce estrogen, so the body works harder to convert calories into fat to increase the estrogen supply.

Progesterone: More a cause of water weight gain.

Androgen: Responsible for sending the weight directly to the midsection. 



The best things to do, according to my research, are alter my diet, exercise exercise exercise, get plenty of sleep, and reduce my caffeine intake.  (That last one is going to be a toughie, I LOVE my sweet tea!).

I feel better knowing that I have SOME semblance of control over the situation, but devastated that at the same time, I don't.  I'd thought it was something as simple as changing my hormones or getting put on a new one; unfortunately, it's not.  I'm going to start doing everything recommended, and just work to be healthy.  Because of my back I have to be careful, but there's so much I CAN do, so I'm going to focus on that.  I'm still depressed (I've now gained 20 lbs. for goodness sake!), but I've got to pull myself up by the bootstraps and get a move on.

Zumba anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment